Federal Hocking High School/Middle School
8461 State Route 144
Stewart, OH 45778
Telephone: (740) 662-6691 Fax (740) 662-3805
May 5, 2020
Dear Families of the Class of 2020,
First of all, I hope this finds you well during these uncertain times. We are definitely dealing with circumstances that most of us have never experienced in our lifetime, including a very unusual ending to the school year and of course your child’s secondary school career. And while we cannot have the type of ceremony we normally would, we certainly can celebrate your child’s accomplishments appropriately and safely according to Ohio Department of Education and our local health department guidelines. For the Federal Hocking Class of 2020, we will be doing the following:
- On Monday May 18th and Tuesday May 19th, graduates and up to 5 other family members will be able to come to the school for a diploma presentation. The graduate will dress in cap and gown and be able to have their name called and diploma presented by administration and board much like would happen in a regular ceremony. This presentation will be taped and afterwards you will have an opportunity for a family photo as well. The video will be uploaded to our virtual ceremony which will be held on Friday, May 22nd at 7 P.M. Please call Julie at (740) 350 – 2143, (740) 667 – 3314, or (740) 662 -2167 to schedule. Hours and dates for scheduling your presentations will be 10 – 6 on Mon. 5/18 and 8 – 4 on Tues. 5/19.
- Attire for graduation is as follows:
- Women: Semi-formal dresses or pants; dress shoes (no flip-flops, tennis shoes, or boots); light-colored shirt preferred.
- Men: Shirt and tie; dress pants (no jeans or work pants); dress shoes (no flip-flops, tennis shoes, or boots); pants and shoes should be dark color.
- When planning to come for the presentation, we ask that families strictly adhere to the 5 family member policy. Families that come with more than 5 will be asked to leave.
- The virtual ceremony will be much like a normal graduation ceremony. It will feature a welcome by the class president, valedictorian and salutatorian speeches, and a slide show of graduates noting accomplishments and future plans. Every graduate that is taped or provides us with a photo/slide will be featured and this will be available to watch from a link on the district web site. We will send the link to each graduate's email address that day as well.
- We would like to have a cookout for graduates at the school. Of course, this can only happen once the social distancing order has been lifted but once that occurs, an invitation will be shared. The school will provide the food and graduates, families, and staff can enjoy one last outdoor celebration and opportunity to officially wrap-up their senior year.
Cliff Bonner, Principal Federal Hocking High School
P. S. IMPORTANT
**We need to collect Chromebooks on these days as well. Please bring it for collection or you can purchase for $50. Either the Chromebook or money will be required before receiving your diploma.
**Please remember that in order to receive a diploma, students must clear all obligations with the school in terms of fees, fines (including Chromebook damages/replacement), returned books, cameras, and Chromebooks (unless purchased), athletic uniforms, and lunch charges. If your son/daughter has an outstanding obligation, that will need to be settled prior to receiving a diploma. Please note that this does not include outstanding Tri-County charges.